Saturday, October 10, 2009

Toshiba 32AV500U Better than expected - great value

I went to my local electronics store, planning to buy the Sharp LC32SB24U rather than this Toshiba. The sales person suggested, before buying, I do a side by side comparison view of the Toshiba 32AV500U and the Sharp LC32SB24U. The Toshiba was $40 more than the Sharp, and I figured it would be the typical upsell.

But comparing the image quality of the Sharp and Toshiba, the Toshiba won hands down. The Sharp definitely had a more "washed out" look, while the Toshiba picture was more vibrant with blacker blacks and greater contrast. I doublechecked that both sets were tuned to the same HD source, etc. Anyway this demo was enough to (up)sell me and I bought the Toshiba. It has been great.

This unit is for the bedroom and I don't regret getting the 32" instead of a 26".

I didn't know much about QAM tuners before buying, but what that means is that I can connect my Verizon FIOS cable directly into the TV (no converter box) and receive digital TV channels, some HD channels, and all the digital music channels, all without needing a converter box. Obviously with a converter box you get a better user interface (onscreen interactive program guide) and many more channels, but for the moment I am happy using the TV with direct cable connection (no converter box) and saving a few $ per month.

HD picture quality is so much better than regular digital TV -- if you go to the expense of buying an HDTV (like this one) you really need to hook it up to receive HDTV or you are missing a whole lot.

I am not a videophile or audiophile but have to say that I would recommend this Toshiba very highly to anyone looking to spend between $600 and $700 for a 32" HDTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment